Saturday, June 28, 2008

Surrender

A very good friend of mine today revealed to me a simple truth. I want too much control over my life.

That's what our society today is built on, people's desire to have control over their own lives. Make their own choices, do what they think is best for them.

Many of us like it that way. Its easy, and we always get our way. Nothing is out of our control or influence in terms of our life choices. We choose which jobs we apply for, where we live, what we do in our spare time, who we have relationships with.

Its all "me, me, me" in our society.

I have been as guilty as anyone.

I tried to think of the last time I surrendered control over an area of my life completely and utterly to God, without any comeback if things went wrong. When was the last time I gave myself to God and did something for Him without feeling I wanted or deserved anything in return, or that there was nothing in it for me but doing God's will.

I struggled.

I don't have all the answers. I have such a lot to learn and far to go in my walk with Jesus.

But I do know one thing. That my life will be better once I orientate my life, my choices, my attitudes and relationships round Jesus. When I let Him take control and trust Him with my life.

The practice, though, is much harder.

I thank God that my friend was there to open my eyes to see it. Now all I can do is take it to God, and see where it goes.

I pray I have the courage to do that.