Saturday, October 27, 2007

How lucky I am

Today I was walking through Sutton and something suddenly struck me.

How lucky I am.

I live in one of the most prosperous countries in the world. I have a good job which pays enough. I have my own property. I have a great church, great friends and loving family.

But the luckiest thing for me isn't any of that.

Its that I know Jesus.

Jesus has been my friend and saviour for a long time. He's been with me through my dark times and the good times. He was my strength when I didn't even know He was there. He listens to me all the time. He knows me intimately, He has plans for me, He values me and loves me as I am, even if I let him down. I can depend on Him. He won't ever abandon me. He always forgives me when I screw up. He won't ever stop loving me. He'll always forgive me.

Even when I'm alone, He's with me.

I don't have to do anything to earn His love. Its already there.

Not only that, but it means I'm free from all the negativity and consumer culture we live in. I don't have to conform to the values everyone else does. I don't have to worry about my future. I don't have to have to put my value in how much I earn, my status or whether I'm single or married. In theory I shouldn't even have to worry about money, as God will provide me with everything I need. I don't need to seek everyone's approval or acceptance, only God's.

It doesn't make life easier. Just easier to cope with.

I still have the same stresses, issues, problems, worries and daily issues as anyone else. I still get upset, angry, annoyed and still things go wrong.

But its so much easier to deal with when you've got someone you know is with you through it all, and no matter what will always be there for you and give you what you need to deal with it.

Life is hard. We need more than each other. We need God.

I'm so lucky to have Jesus in my life. I hope you have Him in yours.