Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Time out with God

Tonight I’ve had a little time on my own with God, reflecting, listening, worshipping and thinking about what He wants for me and what’s next in my life. I think its always good to do these once in a while, to reassess what God wants in my life and what His priorities and plans for me are.


It’s been great just to get some down time with God and to really take stock of where I am, where I’m going and what I’m doing and map out - in pencil, because making too many plans of our own as a Christian isn’t really a good idea - what I’m going to be doing in the next few months, how I’m going to grow, what I want to achieve and how I’m going to do that.


Inevitably some of that involves this blog. This is a big part of how I express my faith, and I love the evolving church title and concept, because for me it represents so much of how I view my faith. Its always changing & adapting to new circumstances, maturing, growing and essentially evolving, though it never loses its heart, its essential DNA. 


But one thing I think I’m really passionate about is being authentic, being true and honest with myself, with others and in how I live out and express my faith. I think I’ve tried to do that with this blog but I think there’s an area in my writing where I really need to allow myself more freedom, allow myself to be more honest and at the same time go deeper theologically. I’m passionate about communicating in a way people can connect with and which isn’t bound up with religious or jargon-based language, a way that’s accessible to more people, which can explain complex ideas simply and faithfully. I also want to do this in as creative a way as possible, not for the sake of it, but really when I have a message communicating it in a way which suits the message, and not being afraid to try different things.


So hopefully over the next few months I’ll be able to explore some of these things, and hopefully develop and mature in my writing but also try to be more authentic and honest about what God has been doing in me and how that’s changing me


I always get excited when God starts to speak fresh words to me, and gives me more things to share and ideas to express, and I already have some ideas that I’m looking forward to sharing with you.


I think too that part of that may be changing the look of the site, so I’m now looking at templates with a view to changing the view of the site. I actually like the one I have, but it feels like it might be time to freshen things up a bit, and so I’m going to take some time and have a ponder on it - it may be God tells me simply to stick with this, but I really sense that it might be a good time to change it. 


Feel free to let me know your thoughts or suggestions on this, it would be great to hear them. 


One thing I would encourage you all in though is to make sure that you’re taking time out with God, and really evaluating where you are, what your gifts are and what God is leading you towards in the next stage of your life. Spend time listening to Him, and reflecting on what you hear, and make some decisions. It makes a world of difference and really helps focus your mind and your heart on where you going. It allows you to say no to certain things, and to make decisions to go for it in areas that you might not have done before.


It can be a scary thing to do, but God tells us not to be afraid. We can trust Him and He is faithful, and always has our best at heart. When you get that clarity from God on these things in your life, it refreshes your soul, it gives you new energy and focus, it really is life-changing. 


Don’t be afraid. Go for it with God, He’s waiting for you to engage with Him.

Posted via email from James Prescott